10 THINGS EVERY AUTISM CHILD WISH THEIR PARENTS KNEW

By nazera - July 21, 2020


The sad truth that every autism child may faced in their daily life and they can't change who they are in an instant and it is hard for them to express their emotion naturally like other kids. Here are 10 things that every autism child wish their parents knew.

1. LOVE ME UNCONDITIONALLY

Throw away thought like "If you would just---" and "Why can't you---". You didn't fulfill every expectation your parents had for you and you wouldn't like being constantly reminded of it. I didn't choose to have autism.

2. IDENTIFY WHAT TRIGGERS MY MELTDOWNS

Meltdowns and blow-ups are more horrid for me than they are for you.

3. HELP ME WITH SOCIAL INTERACTIONS

It may look like I don’t want to play with other kids on the playground, but it may be that I simply do not know who to start conversation or join their play.

4. FOCUS BUILD ON WHAT I CAN DO RATHER THAN WHAT I CAN'T DO

Like any persons, I can't learn in on environment where I'm constantly made to feel that I'm not good enough and that I need fixing.

5. PICTURE THIS! I'M VISUALLY ORIENTED

Show me how to do something rather than just telling me.

6. LISTEN TO ALL THE WAYS I'M TRYING TO COMMUNICATE

It's hard for me to tell you what I need when I don't have a way to describe my feelings.

7. I'M A CONCRETE THINKER. I INTERPRET LANGUAGE LITERALLY

You confused me by saying, "Hold your horses, cowboy!" when what you mean is "Stop running."

8. DISTINGUISH BETWEEN WON'T (I CHOOSE NOT TO) AND CAN’T (I AM NOT ABLE TO)

It isn't that I don't listen to instructions. It's that I can't understand you.

9. MY SENSES ARE OUT OF SYNC

This means what ordinary sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touches that you may not even notice can be downright painful for me.

10. I AM A CHILD

My autism is part of who I am, not all of who I am.

These are just 10 things, and I bet there are more things that these kids can't let out or express to their parents which is sadden because everyone wants someone to listen to them and understand them. Those are also the reason for the frustration that both parents and child can show.


Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew. (n.d.). Retrieved July 20, 2020, from https://www.crisisprevention.com/Blog/Ten-Things-Every-Child-with-Autism-Wishes-You-Knew

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments